From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Apr 2011 17:28:31
Message: <4da766ff@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:42:24 -0400, Alain wrote:

> In the USA, you are expected to forego your original culture and take
> the Great Melting Pot as your culture. It looks, at least seem from
> abroad, that it's mostly "Do and be as I am".

I don't really see the majority opinion being the 'melting pot', but
rather an "adopt our way of doing things or get out".  The melting pot
idea is more about integrating other cultures into ours and the US
growing that way, and there's an apparently strong movement to move
towards less integration of other cultures' ideas into US culture and a
strong push towards "you moved here, you're American now, so act like
it!" (obvious in statements like 'learn English if you move here' and the
recent laws that have been passed banning Sharia law (which I really
don't understand the need for, quite stupid and ignorant if you ask me)).

Jim