POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Processing power is not always what sells, it seems (Message 26 to 35 of 85)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
Date: 10 Jul 2009 10:37:21
Message: <4a575221$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/10/09 02:46, Chambers wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> That doesn't sound like either features or benefits selling. The
>> lesson I'm learning with this is "marketing sells".
>
> Sure, it's benefits. Ford didn't tell people they should get a car
> because it had X features; he told them they should get a car because of
> how it would improve their quality of life.

	I know, but I suspect people bought it because Ford marketed better.
That they emphasized benefits over features may have played a role, but
I'm willing to bet any company that markets the features well will outdo
mediocre marketing of benefits.

	Good marketing works. Content of said marketing is not really that
important.

> I've actually used Vonage; their prices are quite competitive. In fact,
> I *tried* to research others, and I wasn't able to come up with anybody
> who had better prices.

	When I got my VoIP line (4-5 years ago), there were lots of companies
out there. And Vonage was probably the most expensive. They also were
reputed to have the worst quality, because they had more customers they
could handle (something I'm sure they have fixed). Even then, everyone
was flocking to them.

	Look at ViaTalk. With their offer (which they almost always have had
for the last few years), you'll effectively be paying less than $8/month
for the first two years. Vonage has little that Viatalk doesn't (last
time I checked).

	After the first two years, you pay double, which is still only 63% of
what you have to pay for Vonage.

> Maybe the other companies need to work on their advertising.

	Precisely. It's not because of promoting either features or benefits.
It's simply due to forming brand recognition. Good marketing.

--
"Class, please! If you don't learn Roman numerals, you'll never know the
dates certain motion pictures were copyrighted." -- Mrs. Krabappel in

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message