POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: Chambers
Date: 10 Jul 2009 11:07:16
Message: <4a575924@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     I know, but I suspect people bought it because Ford marketed better.
> That they emphasized benefits over features may have played a role, but
> I'm willing to bet any company that markets the features well will outdo
> mediocre marketing of benefits.

The problem is, people don't *care* about features (outside of a core
group that likes bragging rights, of course).  Features don't sell, and
they don't convince.  *Benefits* do.  Nodoby really cares what clock
rate a CPU runs at, they care how fast the processor is (the clock rate
is an indicator, of course, so they still pay attention to it, but a
fast chip with a slow clock still sells better than a slow chip with a
fast clock).

That Ford marketed better than his competition is undisputed.  But a
large part of what he did wasn't just selling Ford cars, but selling
cars in general.

>     Good marketing works. Content of said marketing is not really that
> important.

Ahem... good marketing works *because* of its content, doesn't it? ;)

>     Look at ViaTalk. With their offer (which they almost always have had
> for the last few years), you'll effectively be paying less than $8/month
> for the first two years. Vonage has little that Viatalk doesn't (last
> time I checked).
>
>     After the first two years, you pay double, which is still only 63%
> of what you have to pay for Vonage.
>
>> Maybe the other companies need to work on their advertising.
>
>     Precisely. It's not because of promoting either features or
> benefits. It's simply due to forming brand recognition. Good marketing.

Not just brand name recognition; I was literally unable to find a
competitor that could match Vonage's prices when I shopped around.

--
Chambers