POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Arg!! (Message 1 to 10 of 41)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Arg!!
Date: 23 Apr 2012 13:09:45
Message: <4f958cd9@news.povray.org>
While in the process of using a thumb drive to move stuff between
machines somehow the damn "disk manager" in the drive got confused,
decided to run against the HDD, and ate my MBR and partition table.
So... Partitions where, mostly, recovered, using testdisk. The problem
being, this was a dual boot, so either grub is missing, or the partition
which had its boot menu on it is gone. So, few problems:

The version of linux I had installed doesn't recognize itself on the
drive, so can't recover.

I don't have a full copy of dos, anyplace, any more, so the tools to run
fdisk /mbr, or the like, are not there.

Recovery console for XP insists I have an admin password (But I never
used one on that old machine), so won't get me to a prompt, so I can do
that.

Knoppix won't auto-mount the main drive, and attempting to dd the mbr,
to wipe the grub loader (i.e. dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hdc bs=446
count=1), tells me, "This is a directory"...

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Still a lot of shit on the old
machine I use every day, since its not transferred to the new machine
yet. :(

Post a reply to this message

On 23/04/2012 6:09 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Still a lot of shit on the old
> machine I use every day, since its not transferred to the new machine
> yet. :(

Can you physically remove the HDD from your old m/c and connect it to
the new one via a usb adaptor?
If so, easy peasy.

--
Regards