POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Apr 2012 01:23:09
Message: <4f9638bd$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/23/2012 10:18 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 23/04/2012 6:09 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Still a lot of shit on the old
>> machine I use every day, since its not transferred to the new machine
>> yet. :(
>
> Can you physically remove the HDD from your old m/c and connect it to
> the new one via a usb adaptor?
> If so, easy peasy.

May have to. The problem is, this was the boot drive, so since you can't
read the registry, that I know of, unless its in plain text, what little
I "could" get from the drive isn't much. The data partition is on that
too, but only some programs, most of the data-data was moved off to
bigger externals. Luckily I recently got an IDE drive case, for hooking
up to USB, so I can do it, otherwise, it wouldn't even be possible on
the new machine (since they don't have IDE much any more).

The biggest problems is a) not knowing what all my applications where,
that where installed, or b) any easy way to get registry keys off the
drive (I already have one game that decided to malfunction a while back,
and when I tried to reinstall it, I couldn't find the key. It didn't
occur to me to get the key out of the registry first).

It would definitely be more convenient if I could get it to boot.

Oddly, I tried both an older DOS disk, and to run a disk diagnostic disk
that I think belongs to the drive itself. The first one showed:

Unable to find command processor, for example, C:\Command.com, press
enter to try again, or reboot the machine.

The diagnostic disk did the same thing, only with C> on it. Why this
would happen, unless it was somehow trying to look at the HDD for it, is
beyond me. Very odd....