POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Warp
Date: 23 Apr 2012 13:53:34
Message: <4f95971e@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Still a lot of shit on the old
> machine I use every day, since its not transferred to the new machine
> yet. :(

  I know this is just pouring salt on the wound, and it doesn't help you
solve the problem, but... Whenever you have some important data that you
don't want to lose in one single place, usually a hard drive, you are
taking the conscious risk of losing it. It often feels the same like the
idea of getting robbed: When it has never happened to you, you can easily
get the false sense of safety that it probably won't ever happen either,
but if it some day happens, it can be a real shock. Suddenly you wake up
to the realization that it really *is* a real danger. The same goes for
keeping important data in one single place, with no backups. It may feel
like a risk one's ready to take, but when the day comes when that data is
lost (or even just possibly lost), it's when reality really stings.

  Let this be, once again, a lesson for everybody: Backup your important
data. It doesn't matter how much of a hassle it may feel, just do it.
(Also, make sure that your backups work. Don't keep your backup in one
single disk for years. Writable CDs and DVDs degrade over time, and after
a decade or so you might find out that the computer can't read the disk
anymore. Re-backup to a new disk every now and then. Writable DVDs are
cheap.)

--
                                                          - Warp