POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not)
Date: 17 Apr 2008 14:31:17
Message: <48079775$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Well, look at Novell's history - MS can't buy Novell (anti-trust
> concerns).  Novell was in the networking business before Microsoft.
> Market share did diminish, no doubt, once NT came onto the market (part
> of the reason was bad management at Novell, part was anticompetitive
> behaviour on MS' part).

Uh... didn't Novell almost go bankrupt? And aren't they now a tiny
minority company that most people have almost never heard of?

> So you're saying that because MS is in the server market, nobody should
> ever try to make a server?  We do very well, thankyouverymuch....

Well, it's your funderal. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Doctor John
Date: 17 Apr 2008 14:43:55
Message: <48079a6b$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Well, look at Novell's history - MS can't buy Novell (anti-trust
>> concerns).  Novell was in the networking business before Microsoft.
>> Market share did diminish, no doubt, once NT came onto the market
>> (part of the reason was bad management at Novell, part was
>> anticompetitive behaviour on MS' part).
>
> Uh... didn't Novell almost go bankrupt?
Mismanagement, as Jim says.
> ........................................And aren't they now a tiny
> minority company that most people have almost never heard of?

A company that takes full page ads in Computer Weekly is hardly tiny and
a quick straw poll of the ten people I'm currently talking to gives an
80% "yes, of course I know who Novell are". The other 20% are a barmaid
and the pub landlord.
>> So you're saying that because MS is in the server market, nobody
>> should ever try to make a server?  We do very well, thankyouverymuch....
>
> Well, it's your funderal. ;-)

Why so defeatist? If everyone rolled over and died when M$ entered a
market there would be no innovation and CERN for one would be trying to
do its calculations on some 20-y-o IBM Big Iron. (I exaggerate but ykwim)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2008 15:02:08
Message: <48079eb0$1@news.povray.org>
>> ........................................And aren't they now a tiny
>> minority company that most people have almost never heard of?
>>
> A company that takes full page ads in Computer Weekly is hardly tiny and
> a quick straw poll of the ten people I'm currently talking to gives an
> 80% "yes, of course I know who Novell are". The other 20% are a barmaid
> and the pub landlord.

I was about to comment that I've never ever seen any kind of advert for
Novell (even when they were popular). But then I realised... I don't
*read* anything that might realistically contain such an advert...

> Why so defeatist? If everyone rolled over and died when M$ entered a
> market there would be no innovation and CERN for one would be trying to
> do its calculations on some 20-y-o IBM Big Iron. (I exaggerate but ykwim)

Well, let's face it. If *you* break the law, you get fined and/or shut
down. If M$ breaks the law... actually, nothing happens. So basically MS
is playing to completely different rules - on top of being absurdly
wealthy. How do you stand a chance?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Doctor John
Date: 17 Apr 2008 15:07:02
Message: <48079fd6$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> .... How do you stand a chance?

By never giving up :-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2008 15:08:16
Message: <4807a020@news.povray.org>
>> .... How do you stand a chance?
>>

> By never giving up :-)

LOL! If *that* worked, I'd have got laid years ago! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 17 Apr 2008 15:11:25
Message: <4807a0dd@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escribió:

>> By never giving up :-)
>
> LOL! If *that* worked, I'd have got laid years ago! ;-)

LOL!

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Apr 2008 16:24:31
Message: <4807b1ff@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:31:28 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Well, look at Novell's history - MS can't buy Novell (anti-trust
>> concerns).  Novell was in the networking business before Microsoft.
>> Market share did diminish, no doubt, once NT came onto the market (part
>> of the reason was bad management at Novell, part was anticompetitive
>> behaviour on MS' part).
>
> Uh... didn't Novell almost go bankrupt?

No.  Novell went from having a near monopoly position in the market to
not having a near monopoly position in the market.

> And aren't they now a tiny
> minority company that most people have almost never heard of?

Ever hear of SUSE Linux?  That's a Novell product.  Go check in at the
airport sometime and look at the login screen on the terminal - most
likely, it's a Novell login dialog you'll see.  Star Alliance is but one
of many very large customers Novell has.  We penned a deal with Pugeout
to replace 20,000 desktops with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop because it
was a better fit than Windows for those particular users (note that
Pugeout has about 70K desktops; this is not a total desktop replacement).

>> So you're saying that because MS is in the server market, nobody should
>> ever try to make a server?  We do very well, thankyouverymuch....
>
> Well, it's your funderal. ;-)

People have been saying that for damned near 20 years now.  If I had a
nickel for every time someone said "Novell will be gone in 5 years", I
could have retired.  Still here, still growing, currently expanding the
development center in India (how can a "nearly bankrupt company" invest
over $100 million in India over the next three years?  Huh? Or to be
acquiring companies - Sitescape, Platespin, SuSE, eSecurity, Immunix,
Ximian - and on and on and on.  Or to pursue litigation against Microsoft
pertaining to antitrust violations?  Or to be seen by Microsoft to be
enough of a threat to sign a partnership agreement *in spite of* the
antitrust lawsuit?)

By your logic, nobody should ever have dared to compete with Standard
Oil, or with AT&T in the US telecommunications industry.  Monopolies fall.

Novell has been *very* well known in the industry as a technology leader
with totally crap marketing.  Microsoft's products as a general rule are
technologically *years* behind.  Active Directory lags eDirectory by
about 7 years of development - and as a poorly implemented copy of
eDirectory it's pretty pathetic.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Apr 2008 16:27:03
Message: <4807b297@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:02:19 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Well, let's face it. If *you* break the law, you get fined and/or shut
> down. If M$ breaks the law... actually, nothing happens. So basically MS
> is playing to completely different rules - on top of being absurdly
> wealthy. How do you stand a chance?

Um, Microsoft has been fined by the EC for its antitrust violations.
It's having to open information about development on Windows that it
would rather have kept secret and proprietary.

That's hardly "nothing happens".  I personally would have liked to see
the US DOJ break them up back when the antitrust trial was going on - but
the leading party in the US changed hands and the DOJ rolled over and
played dead on that.  The EC is doing a far better job than the DOJ at
punishing MS for it's anticompetitive behaviour.

When someone's behaving badly, the wrong thing to do is to give up just
because "you can't beat them".

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 18 Apr 2008 03:53:43
Message: <op.t9sqwe1kc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:33:03 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> you either have to accept that things will be changed slightly and
>> re-check all your documents or use the depreciated tags that only
>> Microsoft knows how to parse correctly.
>
> This was my point. If you use ODF, you have to do that every time you
> change word processor anyway, since ODF doesn't specify layout any
> better than OOXML does.

Which makes one ask why use OOXML and not ODF, with the main answer
appearing to be that you can keep your old Microsoft formatting relatively
intact.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Apr 2008 11:45:10
Message: <4808c206$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> Which makes one ask why use OOXML and not ODF, with the main answer
> appearing to be that you can keep your old Microsoft formatting
> relatively intact.

Exactly. And if you need that in your "open" product, you're going to
need an "open" product which substantially replicates all of Word anyway.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"