POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) : Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not)
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2008 15:02:08
Message: <48079eb0$1@news.povray.org>
>> ........................................And aren't they now a tiny
>> minority company that most people have almost never heard of?
>>
> A company that takes full page ads in Computer Weekly is hardly tiny and
> a quick straw poll of the ten people I'm currently talking to gives an
> 80% "yes, of course I know who Novell are". The other 20% are a barmaid
> and the pub landlord.

I was about to comment that I've never ever seen any kind of advert for
Novell (even when they were popular). But then I realised... I don't
*read* anything that might realistically contain such an advert...

> Why so defeatist? If everyone rolled over and died when M$ entered a
> market there would be no innovation and CERN for one would be trying to
> do its calculations on some 20-y-o IBM Big Iron. (I exaggerate but ykwim)

Well, let's face it. If *you* break the law, you get fined and/or shut
down. If M$ breaks the law... actually, nothing happens. So basically MS
is playing to completely different rules - on top of being absurdly
wealthy. How do you stand a chance?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/