POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) : Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not)
From: Doctor John
Date: 17 Apr 2008 14:43:55
Message: <48079a6b$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Well, look at Novell's history - MS can't buy Novell (anti-trust
>> concerns).  Novell was in the networking business before Microsoft.
>> Market share did diminish, no doubt, once NT came onto the market
>> (part of the reason was bad management at Novell, part was
>> anticompetitive behaviour on MS' part).
>
> Uh... didn't Novell almost go bankrupt?
Mismanagement, as Jim says.
> ........................................And aren't they now a tiny
> minority company that most people have almost never heard of?

A company that takes full page ads in Computer Weekly is hardly tiny and
a quick straw poll of the ten people I'm currently talking to gives an
80% "yes, of course I know who Novell are". The other 20% are a barmaid
and the pub landlord.
>> So you're saying that because MS is in the server market, nobody
>> should ever try to make a server?  We do very well, thankyouverymuch....
>
> Well, it's your funderal. ;-)

Why so defeatist? If everyone rolled over and died when M$ entered a
market there would be no innovation and CERN for one would be trying to
do its calculations on some 20-y-o IBM Big Iron. (I exaggerate but ykwim)

John

finished," then he sat down.