POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) : Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Apr 2008 16:24:31
Message: <4807b1ff@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:31:28 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Well, look at Novell's history - MS can't buy Novell (anti-trust
>> concerns).  Novell was in the networking business before Microsoft.
>> Market share did diminish, no doubt, once NT came onto the market (part
>> of the reason was bad management at Novell, part was anticompetitive
>> behaviour on MS' part).
>
> Uh... didn't Novell almost go bankrupt?

No.  Novell went from having a near monopoly position in the market to
not having a near monopoly position in the market.

> And aren't they now a tiny
> minority company that most people have almost never heard of?

Ever hear of SUSE Linux?  That's a Novell product.  Go check in at the
airport sometime and look at the login screen on the terminal - most
likely, it's a Novell login dialog you'll see.  Star Alliance is but one
of many very large customers Novell has.  We penned a deal with Pugeout
to replace 20,000 desktops with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop because it
was a better fit than Windows for those particular users (note that
Pugeout has about 70K desktops; this is not a total desktop replacement).

>> So you're saying that because MS is in the server market, nobody should
>> ever try to make a server?  We do very well, thankyouverymuch....
>
> Well, it's your funderal. ;-)

People have been saying that for damned near 20 years now.  If I had a
nickel for every time someone said "Novell will be gone in 5 years", I
could have retired.  Still here, still growing, currently expanding the
development center in India (how can a "nearly bankrupt company" invest
over $100 million in India over the next three years?  Huh? Or to be
acquiring companies - Sitescape, Platespin, SuSE, eSecurity, Immunix,
Ximian - and on and on and on.  Or to pursue litigation against Microsoft
pertaining to antitrust violations?  Or to be seen by Microsoft to be
enough of a threat to sign a partnership agreement *in spite of* the
antitrust lawsuit?)

By your logic, nobody should ever have dared to compete with Standard
Oil, or with AT&T in the US telecommunications industry.  Monopolies fall.

Novell has been *very* well known in the industry as a technology leader
with totally crap marketing.  Microsoft's products as a general rule are
technologically *years* behind.  Active Directory lags eDirectory by
about 7 years of development - and as a poorly implemented copy of
eDirectory it's pretty pathetic.

Jim