POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Converting POV-Ray images to CMYK Server Time
4 Sep 2024 16:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Converting POV-Ray images to CMYK (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Tom Purcell
Subject: Converting POV-Ray images to CMYK
Date: 9 Sep 2002 21:35:02
Message: <web.3d7d47229c874adc28f3158d0@news.povray.org>
Greetings POV-Ray community,

I have been called upon to generate some hard-copy of my luscious POV-Ray
images.  I've optimized the colors of my objects and lighting to produce
vivid pictures in the on screen RGB mode image.  When I try to convert my
RGB images to the CMYK mode required by the printer, I find that much of my
image is out of gamut so the highlights look terrible and the image just
doesn't match my expectations.  Before I get into too many specifics, does
anyone have any good guidelines for what I might be able to do in either
POV-Ray or in Photoshop in order to get decent quality CMYK images?

Thanks,
Tom

Post a reply to this message

> I have been called upon to generate some hard-copy of my luscious POV-Ray
> images.  I've optimized the colors of my objects and lighting to produce
> vivid pictures in the on screen RGB mode image.  When I try to convert my
> RGB images to the CMYK mode required by the printer, I find that much of my
> image is out of gamut so the highlights look terrible and the image just
> doesn't match my expectations.  Before I get into too many specifics, does
> anyone have any good guidelines for what I might be able to do in either
> POV-Ray or in Photoshop in order to get decent quality CMYK images?

The only info source for printing I have is -
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gcircle/csbh/printingfaq.html

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> I have been called upon to generate some hard-copy of my luscious POV-Ray
> images.  I've optimized the colors of my objects and lighting to produce
> vivid pictures in the on screen RGB mode image.  When I try to convert my
> RGB images to the CMYK mode required by the printer, I find that much of my
> image is out of gamut so the highlights look terrible and the image just
> doesn't match my expectations.  Before I get into too many specifics, does
> anyone have any good guidelines for what I might be able to do in either
> POV-Ray or in Photoshop in order to get decent quality CMYK images?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

It was my understanding that Photoshop has some sort of print translation
thin in it. The idea is you take an image, scan it, then print a copy of
it, scan it again and Photoshop uses the difference to adjust the colors
so that what is printed matches what is seen on the display. I really
wish that Paintshop Pro had that feature, since it is definitely less
expensive to buy. :p In any case, I believe that is how the adjustments
are made for printing the images correctly. Now where you find these
settings, etc. I haven't a clue, since as I said, I can't really afford
Photoshop. ;)

Now if the problem is that it is messing up the image when translating to
CMYK, then I really am lost, but it could be that Photoshop is making the
needed adjustments to the image to print it correctly as it converts to
CMYK and the odd changes you are seeing is just what the printer actually
needs to produce the correct image.

Post a reply to this message