POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Converting POV-Ray images to CMYK : Re: Converting POV-Ray images to CMYK Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting POV-Ray images to CMYK
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Sep 2002 19:28:46
Message: <3d8fa3ae@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3d8fa0c8bb59b30428f3158d0@news.povray.org> , "Tom Purcell"
<hor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> 1) Rule 1--avoid CMYK colorspace as much as possible.  Most color computer
> printers prefer to use a RGB input, even though the actual inks used are
> Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK.  The printers have been factory
> calibrated to convert the RGB input into a form of CMYK that is best for
> the specific inks used on that printer.  Converting to CMYK actually ends
> up causing the printer to first convert back to RGB and then back to CMYK
> with terrible results.  At least, this is the case on the HP color laserjet
> 4500 and the Tectronics Phaser dye sublimation printers that we have in the
> lab here.

Maybe this is the case with some bad or misconfigured Windows drivers, but
at least every properly configured Mac OS color printer driver will take
CMYK input and create appropriate results.  And it will do so on all
PostScript printers, which at least includes the HP Color Laserjets.  Of
course, what Windows does if you use a GDI printer or printer driver may be
something completely useless.....

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde