POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Sharp edges to illumination Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Sharp edges to illumination (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Thomas White
Subject: Re: Sharp edges to illumination
Date: 25 Oct 2000 16:37:16
Message: <39f7447c@news.povray.org>
"Bob H."
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:%20&body=Relating%20to%20POV-Ray:>
wrote in message news:39f613cd$1@news.povray.org...
> "Thomas White" <her### [at] removebtinternetcom> wrote in message
> I see now what you were actually trying to find out about is why a texture
> normal causes the sharp shadow/light boundary on a object.  That I don't
know,
> I simply live with the fact.  But, I think you are seeing the faked high
parts
> mostly and perhaps the low parts in the normal aren't as obvious, leaving
some
> places with a expected terminator (shadow line) and not other parts.  The
> surfaces finish makes a difference in how it appears as well, so if a
highlight
> is on there (esp. with second, third lights) it's all the more
noticeable... or
> unnoticeable.  Depends.
> Anyway, it comes down to the same general thing I first said.  The faked
high
> spots aren't really higher up than their surroundings and thus only a
> undisturbed shadow line shows up.
> Once again, MegaPOV can do actual surface perturbations so maybe you'll
want to
> try it.  Check out isosurface and pigment function (pigment pattern equals
any
> normal pattern of the same type).

Thanks.  I've downloaded MegaPov 0.6 and I'm now getting acquainted with it.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Josh English
Date: 26 Oct 2000 13:01:06
Message: <39F86351.C143C1C2@spiritone.com>
Warp wrote:

>   Actually, it's not as simple as you state.
>
>   The normal modifier DOES indeed affect the shadow line of an object (ie.
> the line that is between the part of the surface that faces the light source
> and the part that faces the opposite direction, ie. the line where the
> shadowed part of the object starts).
>   To see how the normal modifier affects this line, try making your object

It's nice that it works, unfortunatly the shadows are also important. What I
tried to do was place an identical sphere bounded by the light source to get my
shadow back, and it creates the shadowline artifact again... grrr.
--
Josh English -- Lexiphanic Lethomaniac
eng### [at] spiritonecom

> It's nice that it works, unfortunatly the shadows are also important.
> What I tried to do was place an identical sphere bounded by the light
> source to get my shadow back, and it creates the shadowline artifact
> again... grrr.

Did you make sure the "shadow sphere" was slightly smaller in radius
than the "real" sphere? If they have the same size and position,
coincident surfaces can cause a problem.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message