POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rgb-cube and problems with media Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:10:56 EDT (-0400)
  rgb-cube and problems with media (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
Subject: rgb-cube and problems with media
Date: 24 Jul 1999 15:27:23
Message: <379a139b@news.povray.org>
Hi all!

I wanted to create a rgb-cube by putting together 10^3 smaller cubes
filled with an emission media. But there are some strange black
squares between the smaller cubes! Changing density, transmit and/or
filter values didn't help.

Does anyone know where the problem is??

Thanx in advance,
Daniel

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rgb_cube.jpg' (30 KB) Download 'rgb_cube.pov.txt' (1 KB)

Preview of image 'rgb_cube.jpg'
rgb_cube.jpg

> I wanted to create a rgb-cube by putting together 10^3 smaller cubes
> filled with an emission media. But there are some strange black
> squares between the smaller cubes! Changing density, transmit and/or
> filter values didn't help.
>
> Does anyone know where the problem is??
>
> Thanx in advance,
> Daniel

  I don't have time to look at your source now but try adding a
nax_trace_level in your global settings. I would start with
something like 30 or more with this many objects in the scene.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm

Post a reply to this message

> > I wanted to create a rgb-cube by putting together 10^3 smaller cubes
> > filled with an emission media. But there are some strange black
> > squares between the smaller cubes! Changing density, transmit and/or
> > filter values didn't help.
> >
> > Does anyone know where the problem is??
> >
> > Thanx in advance,
> > Daniel
>
>   I don't have time to look at your source now but try adding a
> nax_trace_level in your global settings. I would start with
> something like 30 or more with this many objects in the scene.

I didn't see the image either until now. Um there is a problem in
pov called coincident surfaces where if you have transparent objects
whose faces occupy the same space like two boxes abutting each other
the raytracer cannot decide which surface belongs to which object.
The easiest way to avoid this is to seperate them by a tiny amount
or have them overlap by a tiny amount. If you overlap them you can
also use a merge operation to remove all of the inner surfaces.
Read up in the docs about csgs and coincident surfaces.
max_trace_level can still be an issue so don't hesitate adding
that to your scene too.