POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rgb-cube and problems with media : Re: rgb-cube and problems with media Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb-cube and problems with media
From: Dave Kreskowiak
Date: 25 Jul 1999 09:49:27
Message: <379b15e7@news.povray.org>
I ran into a problem probably similar to yours.  I was trying to render
billowing smoke from something like a gasoline or oil fire.  There spheres I
was using for containers intersected (overlapped) each other without any
coincident surfaces.  The black areas I got were intermittent, but were
always confined to the INTERSECTION of the spheres, not coincident surfaces.
Moving the spheres around slightly got around the problem but it appears to
be a bug in POV.

In my experience, coincident surfaces tend to render a jittered imaged of
both textures, not a black spot.  How about this...  try it out 2 images
using just 2 boxes, side by side, and the texture that your using.  In one
image put one box about half way into the other and render it and in the
other, make the boxes just touch each other (coincident surfaces) and render
it.  Just to see what happens.

I'd try it and show you what I mean right now but I have a 6 day render
running right now with 4 days to go...