POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Efficiency Macros: Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Efficiency Macros: (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Guillermo Espitia Rojas
Subject: Efficiency Macros:
Date: 10 Dec 1998 20:04:55
Message: <36706fb7.0@news.povray.org>
Some days ago Jaime Vives, with the suggestion of Jerry Anning, processed a
macro to turn lathes to mesh. The intention was to reduce the time to
render.

I decided to study the subject. I made some tests with different
alternatives on a simple bottle:

- Mesh with the macro of Jaime Vives
- Mesh with the help of Spatch. First DXF from Spatch and later 3DWin to
turn to pov mesh with smooth triangles.
- Bicubic patch with Spatch.
- Lathe.

I use a resolution of 320 x 240 no AA.  The results were:

                                          Time Render       File Size
Mesh (Macro)                        3:29                   16 Kb
Mesh (Spatch - 3DWin)        3:31                 604 Kb
Bicubic patch (Spatch)         6:58                 110 Kb
Lathe                                       8:44                     4 Kb

Conclusion: The macro is more efficient; smaller time to render and reduced
volume of the archives.

Post a reply to this message