POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Efficiency Macros: : Re: Efficiency Macros: Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Efficiency Macros:
From: Ken
Date: 17 Dec 1998 09:29:04
Message: <367914F1.5ABA@pacbell.net>
Guillermo Espitia Rojas wrote:

>                                           Time Render       File Size
> Mesh (Macro)                        3:29                   16 Kb
> Mesh (Spatch - 3DWin)        3:31                 604 Kb
> Bicubic patch (Spatch)         6:58                 110 Kb
> Lathe                                       8:44                     4 Kb
>
> Conclusion: The macro is more efficient; smaller time to render and reduced
> volume of the archives.

Question concerning conclusion:

You mentioned you used a very poor image resolution
for the tests. I can forgive that but I am curious
at to how each process looked in comparison. One of
the very nice features of a lathe object is the high
order math functions used in their implementaion.
The surface smoothness is equal to that of the sphere
object. Meshes, patches, polygons, and the other methods
notoriously have a problem with faceting because they
are constructed from flat surfaces.

  So I guess the question is are they all comparable
or are you trading quality for speed ?

Ken Tyler