POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Efficiency Macros: : Re: Efficiency Macros: Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Efficiency Macros:
From: Ken
Date: 17 Dec 1998 19:59:28
Message: <3679A8B1.1BFE@pacbell.net>
Guillermo Espitia Rojas wrote:

> Hi Ken:
>
> His observation is very opportune.  At my conclusion i not did consider the
> characteristics of the lathe than you indicates.

I get lucky sometimes :)

> The objective initial was check the benefits of convert a lathe to mesh,
> suggestted by Vives-Anning. At second instance, i pretend know techniques to
> reduce the time of render and reduce the necessities of hardware. This me
> allows do one image with more amount of elements, keepping a time reasonable
> of render.  Obviously is sacrificed the quality by the quickness.  However,
> at one image good studied the reduction of quality it can pass unnoticed.
> This can be observed at the following images:

> - Lathe to mesh:      http://www.ctav.es/jaime/barrabar.jpg

I don't know about the conversion process but the composition
and lighting in this scene are truly fantastic.

> - Patch to height-field:
> http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-02-28/temple.jpg

That was created using patches originaly ? Wow ! I had
always presumed it was done using a height field. Is the
source for this file available somewhere ?

Thank you for replying to my questions.

Ken Tyler