POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : File formats for height_fields Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  File formats for height_fields (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Scott Stewart
Subject: File formats for height_fields
Date: 5 Oct 1999 10:17:06
Message: <37FA07F1.8C5A5FA2@houston.quik.com>
Wow! What a treasure trove of POV-ray people!  I have spent the last
hour going over hundreds of messages.  I still haven't found an answer
to what you may call a very simple problem.

I want to create reefs for an underwater scene.  It seemed logical to
use a height_field so I created a bitmap image to use as my height_field
but POV-ray will not recognize the file type.  I can't find a bitmap to
targa converter.  Am I approaching this all wrong?

height_field {
sys  "reef.bmp"
   pigment {White}
   smooth
   translate <-.5, -1, 0>
   water_level .5
}

Post a reply to this message

> Wow! What a treasure trove of POV-ray people!  I have spent the last
> hour going over hundreds of messages.  I still haven't found an answer
> to what you may call a very simple problem.

Welcome aboard.

> I want to create reefs for an underwater scene.  It seemed logical to
> use a height_field so I created a bitmap image to use as my height_field
> but POV-ray will not recognize the file type.  I can't find a bitmap to
> targa converter.  Am I approaching this all wrong?
>
> height_field {
> sys  "reef.bmp"
>    pigment {White}
>    smooth
>    translate <-.5, -1, 0>
>    water_level .5
> }

It looks perfectly acceptable to me. You could also try using a .gif image
but the .bmp format should be working if you are using POV-Ray for windows.
What is the exact error message that you are recieving from Pov ?

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: