POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : File formats for height_fields : Re: File formats for height_fields Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File formats for height_fields
From: Ken
Date: 5 Oct 1999 10:31:46
Message: <37FA0BCA.CBD2098D@pacbell.net>
Scott Stewart wrote:

> Wow! What a treasure trove of POV-ray people!  I have spent the last
> hour going over hundreds of messages.  I still haven't found an answer
> to what you may call a very simple problem.

Welcome aboard.

> I want to create reefs for an underwater scene.  It seemed logical to
> use a height_field so I created a bitmap image to use as my height_field
> but POV-ray will not recognize the file type.  I can't find a bitmap to
> targa converter.  Am I approaching this all wrong?
>
> height_field {
> sys  "reef.bmp"
>    pigment {White}
>    smooth
>    translate <-.5, -1, 0>
>    water_level .5
> }

It looks perfectly acceptable to me. You could also try using a .gif image
but the .bmp format should be working if you are using POV-Ray for windows.
What is the exact error message that you are recieving from Pov ?

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: