POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  A modest proposal (Message 44 to 53 of 53)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: Re: A modest proposal
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:34:27
Message: <379d6f13@news.povray.org>
I AGREE!!!  :)

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind
Nieminen Mika wrote in message <379d50a0@news.povray.org>...
>  A question:
>  Is all this triangulation of objects worth the efforts? Ok, you get a
>preview. So what? I think that there are many other things more important
>for the povteam to do than worrying about previews. Making trianguation
>code for _all_ the objects is not a trivial thing and the benefits are
>questionable. If you want a preview, use a modeller.
>  And besides, implementing an OpenGL or whatever preview would make povray
>non-portable.
>
>--
>main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
>):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:37:40
Message: <379d6fd4@news.povray.org>
>I second that. Most 3D packages (I'm talking scanline here) have some
>sort of boolean operations.

hehe, from my experiance they're not very good either :)  Sure, it can be
done, but there are LOTS of problems associated with it.  This was
particularly true with MAX 1.2 and 2.0 (2.5 fixed it to most extents and it
works very well now).  But have you ever taken a mesh of a text object and
tried to do an intersection of it with another text object at 90 degrees?
(in a mesh program?)

That's the main problem, booleaning with meshes doesn't always work very
well.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind

Post a reply to this message

The answer, I think, has been discussed for quite a while.
Non-linear transformations is the main benefit I see. And not a small one at
that.

Margus

Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   A question:
>   Is all this triangulation of objects worth the efforts? Ok, you get a
> preview. So what? I think that there are many other things more important
> for the povteam to do than worrying about previews. Making trianguation
> code for _all_ the objects is not a trivial thing and the benefits are
> questionable. If you want a preview, use a modeller.
>   And besides, implementing an OpenGL or whatever preview would make povray
> non-portable.
>
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]

Post a reply to this message

In povray.general Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:
: Non-linear transformations is the main benefit I see. And not a small one at
: that.

  Then make all your objects with spatch or whatever modeller.