POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal : Re: A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A modest proposal
From: Spider
Date: 29 Jul 1999 11:33:13
Message: <379F65B7.87AECAA4@bahnhof.se>
Lance Birch wrote:

> haha, some of you just knew I was going to reply to this didn't you?  ;-)
I did.. Why did you think I left the bait hanging ?
:)

> Well, when it comes to 3DS, you're right, it SUCKS!  However, I must note
> that there is a MASSIVE difference between 3D Studio and 3D Studio MAX.  3D
> Studio isn't even considered a product any more (and it's not sold from
> authorised dealers).

*hehe* NC.

> The fact is that meshes are extremely powerful and CAN produce perfect image
> quality if the artist and the renderer are careful.  The introduction of
> such techniques as NURBS and adaptive degradation make meshes perfectly
> smooth (finally!!!).

Sure, sure. but that isn't implementable in POV (Nurbs, afaik is a
modeller thing, not a engine part..)

> So in conclusion, leave POV-Ray the way it is because as a raytracer it
> ROCKS!  And second, please don't criticise renderers that you haven't used
> the latest version of (for more than a month)  :)
he, I whacked down on the whole mesh system.. I know, Ii've built a
cheap hack of one in java... :)

> hehe, OK, that's my 2 cents, feel free to flame me now.
no, you have pointed at something good, with insight. why flame?

//Spider