POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Feature Question/Request Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:27:46 EDT (-0400)
  Image Map Feature Question/Request (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Ken
Subject: Image Map Feature Question/Request
Date: 15 Nov 1998 06:11:33
Message: <364EB684.EBDCF98B@pacbell.net>
Greetings !

Half question half feature change request !

   Of all the features in Pov-Ray there is one that has properties
that make little sense when compared to the operations of other
features. This would be of course the image_map & and height_field
location.
   Why is it when everything else is centered at origin these have
been implemented to start at origin and go to x1 y1 ? There is no
other feature, outside of the media feature and radiosity, that I
can think of, that causes more confusion for new users and old,
than this aggravating quirk.
   Would it have been difficult to have had the image automatically
centered ? I think this behavior should be changed in Pov-Ray release
4.0 if at possible. It sure would ease the suffering of millions.

   Another problem for many users has been the fact that image maps
act on a solid object the same as a pigment and or texture. That is
if applied to one side of an object it appears reversed on the opposite
side of the object. Perhaps it is time to implement a new option to the
image map feature to allow something like a hollow statement. This would

allow application of an image map to a single surface and not the entire

object. Handy for that beer bottle label, ship decal, and so on.

Comments and discussion encouraged.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message