POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Feature Question/Request : Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 15 Nov 1998 23:33:23
Message: <364FAB1D.E15AED71@dhol.com>
Ken wrote:

> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
> > this is so trivial there is no reason to change the source code.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/
>
>   I don't believe it's any less trivial than wanting 4 demensional
> vectors added to the source code. I have recently seen requests
> for that too. Seems strange in light of the fact you can describe
> any point in space with the current 3 demensional coordinate
> system currently in use.

You can't apply built in vector ops to homebrew 4d vectors as it is.
This means that you have to do it explicitly with (slow) macros.  With
4d position vectors, you can easily program things that use homogenous
coordinates (i.e. rational splines, making homebrew NURBS reasonably
easy).  The image map thing is just a matter of an extra line of pov
code, 4d (and more) vectors make whole new capabilities feasible.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom