POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Feature Question/Request : Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 15 Nov 1998 12:52:39
Message: <364F1511.B08FFA41@peak.edu.ee>
Yeah, I also agree that centering image_maps would be logical, but it has never
annoyed me, so I haven't complained. Getting height_hields to look right is a
pain anyway, so the translate -.5 thingy kinda doesn't matter. Still, you have a
point.

The other problem is much more important. I don't think it's very difficult (to
somebody much wiser than me ;)). You shouldn't need any parametric mapping in
many cases (like applying an image to only one side of a polygon or cylinder).
This is how I imagine it: if the outside surface is hit by the sample ray,
calculate the map color; if the inside is hit, don't calculate. This should be a
sufficient solution in most cases (like the bottle label example).

Margus