POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Display Problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Display Problem (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Sirrus
Subject: Display Problem
Date: 5 Oct 1998 21:41:33
Message: <36196729.AE4447CB@usa.net>
Hi everyone,

    I have been having a problem with my display for a while now, but it
has gotten to the point of annoyance recently. My problem is that any
time I view a picture made with Povray, I see bands of color where there
should be a smooth transition. I have figured out that it probably has
something to do with my video card/settings. I have a 1mb card that is
set at 800x600 16 bit, the highest it will go right now is 640x480 24
bit. I have also found a solution: open the pics up in Paint Shop Pro
and convert them to 24 bit color with error diffusion. This is a little
too much work to do while looking at pictures on a web page however. I
believe that I am probably not the only one who has had this problem. I
would like to know if there are any possible solutions short of
upgrading my card?

                                 Sirrus

PS. I know that this has more to do with video cards than Povray, but I
like you guys better. :)

Post a reply to this message

>     I have been having a problem with my display for a while now, but it
> has gotten to the point of annoyance recently. My problem is that any
> time I view a picture made with Povray, I see bands of color where there
> should be a smooth transition. I have figured out that it probably has
> something to do with my video card/settings. I have a 1mb card that is
> set at 800x600 16 bit, the highest it will go right now is 640x480 24
> bit. I have also found a solution: open the pics up in Paint Shop Pro
> and convert them to 24 bit color with error diffusion. This is a little
> too much work to do while looking at pictures on a web page however. I
> believe that I am probably not the only one who has had this problem. I
> would like to know if there are any possible solutions short of
> upgrading my card?
>
>                                  Sirrus
>
> PS. I know that this has more to do with video cards than Povray, but I
> like you guys better. :)

  Take a look at the pov VFAQ. I think you will fine the answer to your
question there.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html

If not come back, slap me, and we will try it again. ; )

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

It is your video card.  I ran into this problem with my IRTC entry which
used atmosphere... after jacking samples up near 2000, I finally tried
to change my color depth up to 24bit.  The problem is that the output is
24bit and the video card is displaying 16bit without dithering down.
There really isn't a solution, but if you are running under 24bit color,
there isn't a problem either (you need a card with 2 megs for 800x600 at
24bit and 4 megs for 1024x768... well you really only need 3, but they
don't sell them like that..)

Steve

Sirrus wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>     I have been having a problem with my display for a while now, but it
> has gotten to the point of annoyance recently. My problem is that any
> time I view a picture made with Povray, I see bands of color where there
> should be a smooth transition. I have figured out that it probably has
> something to do with my video card/settings. I have a 1mb card that is
> set at 800x600 16 bit, the highest it will go right now is 640x480 24
> bit. I have also found a solution: open the pics up in Paint Shop Pro
> and convert them to 24 bit color with error diffusion. This is a little
> too much work to do while looking at pictures on a web page however. I
> believe that I am probably not the only one who has had this problem. I
> would like to know if there are any possible solutions short of
> upgrading my card?
>
>                                  Sirrus
>
> PS. I know that this has more to do with video cards than Povray, but I
> like you guys better. :)

Post a reply to this message