POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Display Problem : Re: Display Problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Display Problem
From: Lewis Sellers
Date: 6 Oct 1998 20:18:18
Message: <361AA54C.7D163D36@usit.net>
Scott Hill wrote:

> Lewis Sellers <lse### [at] usitnet> wrote in article
> <361985AC.9E872B94@usit.net>...
> > Sirrus wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> >
> > It's your video mode. Change it to 24 or 32bit and it will go away.
> >
> > Realize this: that in 8bit mode you have a choice of 256 color out of a
> > pallette 262144 colours (rgb 6:6:6b).
>
>         It's hair splitting, but, isn't 8bit 256 out of 16,777,216 ?

Depends. On the classic VGA cards it's 6:6:6 (6 bits red, 6 green, and 6
blue). On some SVGA cards these days it IS 8:8:8. But those are not very
common. :)

Anyway, the point I was making was that usually displaying a truecolor
(or millions if you're on a mac) image in 16bit hicolor (or thousands on
a mac) mode means that the the software simply drops off the least
significant color bits as 3:2:3. And that causes a lack of color
smoothness.
--min

--
Lewis A. Sellers: writer and contract Multimedia Website Developer
mailto:lse### [at] usitnet (The Fourth Millennium Foundation)

You can bug the living bejesus out of me live on ICQ @ 491461
(If I don't get back to you within a month, I'm out of prozac in some
dark corner somewhere screaming things quite unintelligable but -- most
curiously -- thick with a sumerian accent.)

"The comedy is over" -i pagliacci