POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Display Problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:13 EDT (-0400)
  Display Problem (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Lewis Sellers
Subject: Re: Display Problem
Date: 6 Oct 1998 22:18:53
Message: <361AC190.59B84AA4@usit.net>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Im Beitrag <361AA54C.7D163D36@usit.net> , Lewis Sellers <lse### [at] usitnet>
schrieb:

> >Anyway, the point I was making was that usually displaying a truecolor
> >(or millions if you're on a mac) image in 16bit hicolor (or thousands on
> >a mac) mode means that the the software simply drops off the least
> >significant color bits as 3:2:3. And that causes a lack of color
> >smoothness.
>
> Just a sidenote: The Mac 3.1 version has *full* dithering in whatever resolution you
run it. And we can even view the alpha-channel - it works just the way Photoshop does
it :-)

Hmm. I actually had no idea how mac hardware handles such things. Nice
to know it dithers though. :)

--
Lewis A. Sellers: writer and contract Multimedia Website Developer
mailto:lse### [at] usitnet (The Fourth Millennium Foundation)

You can bug the living bejesus out of me live on ICQ @ 491461
(If I don't get back to you within a month, I'm out of prozac in some
dark corner somewhere screaming things quite unintelligable but -- most
curiously -- thick with a sumerian accent.)

"The comedy is over" -i pagliacci

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 6 Oct 1998 23:10:34
Message: <361ACD3E.FEBD48C3@pacbell.net>
Sirrus wrote:

> The wierd thing is that even when I set it to 640x480 24bit (the max), I
> still see the "bands" on everyones images.

    You never did say exactly what card you are using.
There are some cards that just are not that good and
a reasonable investment now could bring you a lot of
satisfaction. I had an old Paradise card before the
one I have now that was pure junk. It never did
perform like the specs stated it would.
    Assuming that your participation in USA.NET, puts
you in the US, then you can buy a card that will expand
your capabilities greatly for less that $60 dollars. The
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 recently stopped being produced
and discount stores are selling them for almost half the
original price.
    While it is unlikely it may be a limitation of your
monitor itself. How old is it and can it operate in the
higher resolution modes. If it is older than say about
6 - 8 years it's time for and upgrade.
    I recently saw an Ad for a 15" svga monitor that
supports Multi-Synched resolutions up to 1200 x 1600
for $189 and that's the kind of monitor that can really
do graphics justice. 17-20" would be a dream come true
(sigh !) but is not necessary.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Oct 1998 23:32:24
Message: <361ad2b8.0@news.povray.org>
Im Beitrag <361AC190.59B84AA4@usit.net> , Lewis Sellers <lse### [at] usitnet>  schrieb:

>> Just a sidenote: The Mac 3.1 version has *full* dithering in whatever resolution
you run it. And we can even view the alpha-channel - it works just the way Photoshop
does it :-)

>Hmm. I actually had no idea how mac hardware handles such things. Nice
>to know it dithers though. :)

It is the software! As in every modern operating system you simply tell the copy
function to dither. I am very sure the same thing is availabe on WinDOS. You should
not have to even think about what the hardware does, thats your drivers prolbem, not
yours. :-)   So a good driver and software setting the right copy flags will never
show this problem. On the Mac even dithered 256 color images (with the system's
colors) look quite nice.

From: povray org admin team
Date: 7 Oct 1998 01:31:47
Message: <361aeead.355775498@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:
>I am very sure the same thing is availabe on WinDOS.

ROFL!

Someone should forward that to Bill Gates ;)

PS Thorsten, could you PLEASE not post without line wrapping ? Your posts come
out as one long line, which makes replying a nuisance.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Oct 1998 12:29:06
Message: <361b88c2.0@news.povray.org>
Im Beitrag <361aeead.355775498@news.povray.org> , new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg
(povray.org admin team) schrieb:
>Someone should forward that to Bill Gates ;)
>
>PS Thorsten, could you PLEASE not post without line wrapping ? Your posts come
>out as one long line, which makes replying a nuisance.

I would like to do so very much, but whenever I try to activate this
feature my e-mail/news client makes a mess out of text I use in a reply
(e-mail and news). The client is Outlook Express...

I am still in search for a better news client, but I have not found one
that fits my needs. I will try to manually format the text whenever I
remember to do so. Sorry! However, since I applied one of the so called "securety
fixes" the whole program crashes more often than anything else, so I am intensively
searching...

From: povray org admin team
Date: 7 Oct 1998 13:24:54
Message: <361d95d4.398627435@news.povray.org>
>that fits my needs. I will try to manually format the text whenever I
>remember to do so.

It's not too hard. I myself often manually format text in emails and postings.
You just have to get into the habit of it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc SCHEFFER
Date: 7 Oct 1998 18:15:18
Message: <361BD9F0.258705DA@wanadoo.fr>
If you only change the color depth through such a utility as Microsoft 's
Quickres, or Matrox or so on soft, remember to close and re-open the picture
before looking at any change. I encountered the problem with a 2Mo S3 64 V2
(...... :( ! ) and it went right by doing so...

Post a reply to this message

From: JK
Date: 8 Oct 1998 18:30:51
Message: <361d2f0b.0@news.povray.org>
>I am still in search for a better news client, but I have
not found one
>that fits my needs. I will try to manually format the text
whenever I
>remember to do so. Sorry! However, since I applied one of
the so called "securety fixes" the whole program crashes
more often than anything else, so I am intensively
searching...

You should try Collabra, the newsgroup program Netscape
delivers in its Communicator pack. I think this works fine.
By the way, right at this moment I'm using Outlook Express
as well. Do my lines get wordwrapped ok? I ask, because
apparently Outlook reads these newsgroup messages
differently from others: your messages got wrapped nicely on
my screen...

Julius Klatte
http://surf.to/jkhome
http://surf.to/UAGalleries

Post a reply to this message

From: JK
Date: 8 Oct 1998 18:34:50
Message: <361d2ffa.0@news.povray.org>
>I would like to know if there are any possible solutions
short of upgrading my card?

I was looking for a new card myself not long ago, and I have
to say the prices are OK if you don't want AGP, but good ol'
PCI. There are 4MB cards for less than 200 guilders.. erm
that's dutch... I suppose that is about 80 US dollars? I'm
not really sure... didn't the dollar crash today on the
market? =)

Julius Klatte
http://surf.to/jkhome
http://surf.to/UAGalleries

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross Smith
Date: 9 Oct 1998 03:30:29
Message: <361DAD99.40B5@ihug.co.nz>
JK wrote:

> >I am still in search for a better news client, but I have
> not found one
> >that fits my needs. I will try to manually format the text
> whenever I
> >remember to do so. Sorry! However, since I applied one of
> the so called "securety fixes" the whole program crashes
> more often than anything else, so I am intensively
> searching...
>
> You should try Collabra, the newsgroup program Netscape
> delivers in its Communicator pack. I think this works fine.
> By the way, right at this moment I'm using Outlook Express
> as well. Do my lines get wordwrapped ok?

Yours do. Your quotes don't. See above.

> I ask, because
> apparently Outlook reads these newsgroup messages
> differently from others: your messages got wrapped nicely on
> my screen...

Outlook Express always buggers up quoted text if you use automatic line
wrapping. The only cure is to switch off that option and format your own
text by hand.

--
Ross Smith ....................................... Auckland, New Zealand
<mailto:r-s### [at] ihugconz> ........ <http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~r-smith/>