POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity troubles in POV. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity troubles in POV. (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: Radiosity troubles in POV.
Date: 16 Sep 1998 06:05:18
Message: <35ff7f4e.0@news.povray.org>
In povray.general Povray <web### [at] ultisitecom> wrote:
: I'm having the same problems with radiosity not working, with the exception
: that mine works -some- of the time. I recall once that radiosity worked
: after I removed one line, and that was the  -ambient_light Black - line.
: Then I put it back and it rendered with radiosity fine.

  There must be some ambient light in order to the radiosity to be seen
(as you can see in my example code, it's even multiplied by 4, ie. 4 times
brighter ambient light than usual, so radiosity becomes very visible). If
you set the ambient light to 0, no radiosity is seen, of course.
  I think that you typoed something when adding that line again. It's the
only reason I can think of.

: I've yet to find a
: pattern to radiosity not working after having tried over 75 renderings on
: the same scene with small modifications. I used the settings below, having
: the scale of my scene approximately that shown, and it did not correct any
: problems. Is there a bug I should know about that may be causing this?

  Note that there's no "universal" radiosity settings which work fine in
every scene. The radiosity settings I posted work fine with the small room
in the same post, but they don't work fine in outdoor scenes, for example.
Each scene has its own specific optimal radiosity settings. This depends on
the scale of the scene, the brightness of the colors, etc.
  Btw, are you sure you render with the +qr option when you want radiosity?
(without that option radiosity calculations are not made)

--
                                                           - Warp. -

Post a reply to this message

I've discovered the source of the problem, and you are most certainly
correct about the ambient light. The problem is that radiosity doesn't work
in subsequent requests if I cancel a trace. I have to close the Pov-Ray
editor and open it again, and it works fine. So, after yanking out the hair
around my ears for two days, I've finally got it down.

Thanks and much appreciation,
D.J. Brown

Nieminen Mika wrote in message <35ff7f4e.0@news.povray.org>...
>In povray.general Povray <web### [at] ultisitecom> wrote:
>: I'm having the same problems with radiosity not working, with the
exception
>: that mine works -some- of the time. I recall once that radiosity worked
>: after I removed one line, and that was the  -ambient_light Black - line.
>: Then I put it back and it rendered with radiosity fine.
>
>  There must be some ambient light in order to the radiosity to be seen
>(as you can see in my example code, it's even multiplied by 4, ie. 4 times
>brighter ambient light than usual, so radiosity becomes very visible). If
>you set the ambient light to 0, no radiosity is seen, of course.
>  I think that you typoed something when adding that line again. It's the
>only reason I can think of.
>
>: I've yet to find a
>: pattern to radiosity not working after having tried over 75 renderings on
>: the same scene with small modifications. I used the settings below,
having
>: the scale of my scene approximately that shown, and it did not correct
any
>: problems. Is there a bug I should know about that may be causing this?
>
>  Note that there's no "universal" radiosity settings which work fine in
>every scene. The radiosity settings I posted work fine with the small room
>in the same post, but they don't work fine in outdoor scenes, for example.
>Each scene has its own specific optimal radiosity settings. This depends on
>the scale of the scene, the brightness of the colors, etc.
>  Btw, are you sure you render with the +qr option when you want radiosity?
>(without that option radiosity calculations are not made)
>
>--
>                                                           - Warp. -

Post a reply to this message