POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity troubles in POV. : Re: Radiosity troubles in POV. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity troubles in POV.
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 16 Sep 1998 06:05:18
Message: <35ff7f4e.0@news.povray.org>
In povray.general Povray <web### [at] ultisitecom> wrote:
: I'm having the same problems with radiosity not working, with the exception
: that mine works -some- of the time. I recall once that radiosity worked
: after I removed one line, and that was the  -ambient_light Black - line.
: Then I put it back and it rendered with radiosity fine.

  There must be some ambient light in order to the radiosity to be seen
(as you can see in my example code, it's even multiplied by 4, ie. 4 times
brighter ambient light than usual, so radiosity becomes very visible). If
you set the ambient light to 0, no radiosity is seen, of course.
  I think that you typoed something when adding that line again. It's the
only reason I can think of.

: I've yet to find a
: pattern to radiosity not working after having tried over 75 renderings on
: the same scene with small modifications. I used the settings below, having
: the scale of my scene approximately that shown, and it did not correct any
: problems. Is there a bug I should know about that may be causing this?

  Note that there's no "universal" radiosity settings which work fine in
every scene. The radiosity settings I posted work fine with the small room
in the same post, but they don't work fine in outdoor scenes, for example.
Each scene has its own specific optimal radiosity settings. This depends on
the scale of the scene, the brightness of the colors, etc.
  Btw, are you sure you render with the +qr option when you want radiosity?
(without that option radiosity calculations are not made)

--
                                                           - Warp. -