POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Thomas
Subject: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64
Date: 2 Mar 2008 09:40:00
Message: <web.47cabc1cb1731ef4f0289400@news.povray.org>
Hi,

After a few years of not povving I started do some work again with it and I am
delighted to see that a multi-threaded version is in beta!!! Great work POV
team!!! Thanks.

I downloaded the source code last week and tried to compile it on a Solaris X64
machine and ran into a few problems:

*) I had to install the boost library from http://www.sunfreeware.com/ and set
the --with-boost-thread=boost_thread-gcc34-mt flag for ./configure.

*) The ./configure script didn't like the version of the libz I had installed.
It complained it couldn't figure out which version it was even though it was a
good one. I suspect that this is an autoconf/Solaris issue though. Not quite
sure what to do about it. Same problem for the libpng, libtiff and libjpeg.

*) ./configure failed the size int test; it turned out I had to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually to the libboost path (/usr/local/lib).

*) My system only had gmake and no make installed and I had to fix the Makefile
manually in a few places to make sure it used gmake instead of make.

*) Due to the a formentioned libz problems I went for the options to compile it
with out libz (and libpng etc.) yet the code still expected it to be there.This
was the failure:

uncompress                          ../source/base/libbase.a(povmscpp.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to povray

I worked around it by compiling the file manually with libz and that worked
fine.

*) It turned out that my system didn't have ar installed, once installed it
worked fine, but I only found out during the compile. ./configure didn't check
for the binutils (not really important, since I suspect it will be installed on
most systems).

In the end this was my ./configure command:

../configure COMPILED_BY="XXXXXX" --with-boost-thread=boost_thread-gcc34-mt
--without-zlib NON_REDISTRIBUTABLE_BUILD=yes --without-libpng --without-libjpeg
--without-libtiff

Once compiled it all worked multi-threaded on my dual CPU machine...
unfortunately not such luck on an 8-way (octacore/octocore???) machine :( a bit
more investigation needed.

Also, gcc generated quite a few warnings (casts if I remember correctly). If
anyone wants more information let me know and I can post it for you.

Thanks again POV team!!!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message