POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 : Re: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64
From: Thomas van der Veen
Date: 3 Mar 2008 07:12:03
Message: <Xns9A567BD83F13thomasvdv@203.29.75.35>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote in

>> *) The ./configure script didn't like the version of the libz I had
>> installed. It complained it couldn't figure out which version it was
>> even though it was a good one. I suspect that this is an
>> autoconf/Solaris issue though. Not quite sure what to do about it.
>> Same problem for the libpng, libtiff and libjpeg.
>>
>> *) ./configure failed the size int test; it turned out I had to set
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually to the libboost path (/usr/local/lib).
>
>      Please mail me the config.log file that configure generated.

DOH User error... Looking at the config.log it turned out the libz etc
test needed the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set as well. All ok now.

>> *) My system only had gmake and no make installed and I had to fix
>> the Makefile manually in a few places to make sure it used gmake
>> instead of make.
>
>      That's odd, there should be *no* explicit reference to make
>      within
> any Makefile.  Can you tell where you had to apply those changes?

In the Makefile in the main directory and in the source and unix
directory are these lines:

MAKE=make
SET_MAKE = MAKE=make

I changed them to MAKE=gmake and then it all worked fine.

>> uncompress
>> ../source/base/libbase.a(povmscpp.o) ld: fatal: Symbol referencing
>> errors. No output written to povray
>
>      Ah-ah, indeed this one needs to be wrapped too.  Thanks!

no problem... I was probably the first to compile it that way
(understandably).

>> *) It turned out that my system didn't have ar installed, once
>> installed it worked fine, but I only found out during the compile.
>> ./configure didn't check for the binutils (not really important,
>> since I suspect it will be installed on most systems).
>
>      Thanks I will be adding an extra check.
>
>> Also, gcc generated quite a few warnings
>
>      They are harmless.
>
>      Thanks again for reporting,
>      - NC

Thanks,