POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 : Re: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64
From: Thomas van der Veen
Date: 3 Mar 2008 07:02:26
Message: <Xns9A567A36D76CAveentukibmcom@203.29.75.35>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:47cae3aa@news.povray.org:

> Thomas <tho### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>> ooh and just to mention it; I got a 32 bit executable:
>
>   If I'm not completely mistaken, gcc 3.4 has no support for creating
> 64-bit Sparc executables. I don't know if gcc 4 has.

This is Solaris X64 and thus uses Intel x86-64 or Opteron chips not Sparc.
Turns out that gcc-3.4.3 was installed on the box and that can produce 64
bit code apparently, but haven't tried that yet.

>   If it doesn't, the only way you can create a 64-bit Sparc executable
> is by using Sun's own C++ compiler. However, unless they have brought it
> up to date recently, it probably won't compile POV-Ray.

We have the Sun compiler (for x86) here, but I haven't tried it.,, and not
sure if I will have time to do so.

Thomas