POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 : Re: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling beta 25 on Solaris X64
From: Warp
Date: 3 Mar 2008 07:21:40
Message: <47cbed53@news.povray.org>
Thomas van der Veen <tho### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
> >   If I'm not completely mistaken, gcc 3.4 has no support for creating
> > 64-bit Sparc executables. I don't know if gcc 4 has.

> This is Solaris X64 and thus uses Intel x86-64 or Opteron chips not Sparc.
> Turns out that gcc-3.4.3 was installed on the box and that can produce 64
> bit code apparently, but haven't tried that yet.

  I see. I suppose then it's just a question of whether gcc can create
the 64-bit executables in a format compatible with Solaris. I assume it can.

  I suppose that the configure script could somehow detect that the system
is an x86-64 running Solaris and test if 64-bit binaries can be compiled.
Of course there should still be an option to compile a 32-bit binary
anyways, if the user wants one.

--
                                                          - Warp