POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available. (Message 13 to 22 of 22)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available.
Date: 28 Feb 2008 11:54:25
Message: <47c6e741$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/28 11:16:
> Alain escribió:
>> The error message should read "Buffer overflow", not "Out of memory".
>>

> That will scare the hell out of users who know those two words related
> to security vulnerabilities.
Undetected buffer overflow is bad. Detected ones or those that cause a process
to abort are usualy not a problem.
Alternately, it could be "Work buffer full", or "Buffer fault".

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you can recite your high school

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Feb 2008 12:00:31
Message: <47c6e8af$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/28 11:16:
>> Alain escribió:
>>> The error message should read "Buffer overflow", not "Out of memory".
>>>

>> That will scare the hell out of users who know those two words related
>> to security vulnerabilities.
> Undetected buffer overflow is bad. Detected ones or those that cause a
> process to abort are usualy not a problem.
> Alternately, it could be "Work buffer full", or "Buffer fault".

It isn't a buffer overflow.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Feb 2008 12:08:44
Message: <47c6ea9c@news.povray.org>
Alain escribió:
> Nicolas Alvarez nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/28 11:16:
>> Alain escribió:
>>> The error message should read "Buffer overflow", not "Out of memory".
>>>

>> That will scare the hell out of users who know those two words related
>> to security vulnerabilities.
 >
> Undetected buffer overflow is bad. Detected ones or those that cause a
> process to abort are usualy not a problem.
> Alternately, it could be "Work buffer full", or "Buffer fault".

*I* know that, but go explain it to naive users, who have "buffer
overflow = security exploit" on their heads.

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/05/17/buffer-overflows.aspx

Also, the buffer didn't overflow. It reached a limit, and stopped there.
So such a message would be incorrect anyway.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 28 Feb 2008 15:08:36
Message: <47c714c4$1@news.povray.org>
> "Timed out waiting for worker thread startup"

	This indeed seems to happen on Fedora 8 and some current gentoo distro
at least.  Others such as Debian or Ubuntu usually work.  At the moment
I can't tell what might cause the problem, i.e. whether it has to do with
libc, boost, the system thread library or else  :-/

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 29 Feb 2008 10:55:37
Message: <47c82af9$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/28 12:08:

> *I* know that, but go explain it to naive users, who have "buffer
> overflow = security exploit" on their heads.
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/05/17/buffer-overflows.aspx
>

> Also, the buffer didn't overflow. It reached a limit, and stopped there.
> So such a message would be incorrect anyway.
So "Buffer full" or "Buffer limit reatched" would be a more correct message.

From: Warp
Date: 29 Feb 2008 12:30:24
Message: <47c84130@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> So "Buffer full" or "Buffer limit reatched" would be a more correct message.

  The message should also say *which* buffer. That way the user can know
better what exactly is it in his scene that is causing the problem.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Mar 2008 03:29:37
Message: <47c913f1$1@news.povray.org>
Le Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:08:35 +0100, Nicolas Calimet a modifié des petits
morceaux de l'univers pour nous faire lire :

>> "Timed out waiting for worker thread startup"
>
> 	This indeed seems to happen on Fedora 8 and some current gentoo
distro
> at least.  Others such as Debian or Ubuntu usually work.  At the moment
> I can't tell what might cause the problem, i.e. whether it has to do
> with libc, boost, the system thread library or else  :-/
>
> 	- NC

Yes. I confirm that.
I'm on gentoo amd64 (~amd64: unstable), and it looks like it can run once
then fails.
Even invoking only "povray --version" does produce this issue: first time
is ok, next are "Timed out".

My setting is

# ./configure COMPILED_BY=... --disable-io-restrictions
(... is a place holder)
# make check
# make install

Even adding --disable-optimiz-arch does not change the issue.

A reboot (it's a bit hard) allow one run.
I made a ps before first run, then after second (failed) run: no lagging
process.

The trigger seems to be in vfesession.cpp vfeSession::Initialize

Might it be related to a resume state ?
Shouldn't this issue have it's own thread ?

even the sequence:
# ./configure ....
# make check
# make check

would trigger the issue.
Any suggestion how I could help ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Lukas Winter
Date: 1 Mar 2008 08:53:41
Message: <47c95fe5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,
it is great to have the code, I enjoy playing around with it ;)
With my self-compiled pov-ray beta I keep getting errors like "Xlib:
unexpected async reply (sequence 0x68)!". I suspect the reason is that
POV calls SDL functions from different threads or from signal handlers.
SDL's graphics functions are not thread-safe. I do not have this problem
when I switch the display off.
I have not tried the official binary.
Regards,
Lukas

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 4 Mar 2008 05:27:36
Message: <47cd2418@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> So "Buffer full" or "Buffer limit reatched" would be a more correct message.
>
>   The message should also say *which* buffer. That way the user can know
> better what exactly is it in his scene that is causing the problem.

I would tend to agree. Since the OP didn't post a sample scene or respond
to my request for one, I can't do much at this point, as I simply don't
know what part of the code is involved. It appears that others do know
this, though - could someone perhaps take the time to actually *tell* me
what part of the interior code in question this is? Or provide a scene so I
can find out myself?

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Mar 2008 05:46:18
Message: <47cd287a$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>>> So "Buffer full" or "Buffer limit reatched" would be a more correct message.
>>   The message should also say *which* buffer. That way the user can know
>> better what exactly is it in his scene that is causing the problem.
>
> I would tend to agree. Since the OP didn't post a sample scene or respond
> to my request for one, I can't do much at this point, as I simply don't
> know what part of the code is involved. It appears that others do know
> this, though - could someone perhaps take the time to actually *tell* me
> what part of the interior code in question this is? Or provide a scene so I
> can find out myself?

It comes from the fixed size vector code as far as I can guess.

	Thorsten