POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available. : Re: 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available.
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Feb 2008 12:08:44
Message: <47c6ea9c@news.povray.org>
Alain escribió:
> Nicolas Alvarez nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/28 11:16:
>> Alain escribió:
>>> The error message should read "Buffer overflow", not "Out of memory".
>>>

>> That will scare the hell out of users who know those two words related
>> to security vulnerabilities.
 >
> Undetected buffer overflow is bad. Detected ones or those that cause a
> process to abort are usualy not a problem.
> Alternately, it could be "Work buffer full", or "Buffer fault".

*I* know that, but go explain it to naive users, who have "buffer
overflow = security exploit" on their heads.

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/05/17/buffer-overflows.aspx

Also, the buffer didn't overflow. It reached a limit, and stopped there.
So such a message would be incorrect anyway.