POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available. : Re: 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 beta Unix/Linux source code now available.
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Mar 2008 03:29:37
Message: <47c913f1$1@news.povray.org>
Le Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:08:35 +0100, Nicolas Calimet a modifié des petits
morceaux de l'univers pour nous faire lire :

>> "Timed out waiting for worker thread startup"
>
> 	This indeed seems to happen on Fedora 8 and some current gentoo
distro
> at least.  Others such as Debian or Ubuntu usually work.  At the moment
> I can't tell what might cause the problem, i.e. whether it has to do
> with libc, boost, the system thread library or else  :-/
>
> 	- NC

Yes. I confirm that.
I'm on gentoo amd64 (~amd64: unstable), and it looks like it can run once
then fails.
Even invoking only "povray --version" does produce this issue: first time
is ok, next are "Timed out".

My setting is

# ./configure COMPILED_BY=... --disable-io-restrictions
(... is a place holder)
# make check
# make install

Even adding --disable-optimiz-arch does not change the issue.

A reboot (it's a bit hard) allow one run.
I made a ps before first run, then after second (failed) run: no lagging
process.

The trigger seems to be in vfesession.cpp vfeSession::Initialize

Might it be related to a resume state ?
Shouldn't this issue have it's own thread ?

even the sequence:
# ./configure ....
# make check
# make check