POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Displacement Mapping and subdivision surfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Displacement Mapping and subdivision surfaces (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: McHannemann
Subject: Displacement Mapping and subdivision surfaces
Date: 3 Mar 2006 03:30:01
Message: <web.4407fdd49e2554f58b3e80460@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is some code to use Displacement mapping,
I love to use Pov-Ray for redering, but I construct models with displacement
mapping and subdivision surfaces so I would need a support for these
to use it for the future,

Regards,

Thor

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to know if there is some code to use Displacement mapping,
> I love to use Pov-Ray for redering, but I construct models with displacement
> mapping and subdivision surfaces so I would need a support for these
> to use it for the future,

POV-Ray is mainly a renderer and subdivision surfaces and displacement
mapping are mainly modeling techniques.

There exists a patch for performing parse time subdivision of meshes:

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/

and the compressed mesh system

http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/pcm.html

supports deformation of meshes.

Furthermore there is the Surface Subdivision Suite:

http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)

> > I would like to know if there is some code to use Displacement mapping,
> > I love to use Pov-Ray for redering, but I construct models with displacement
> > mapping and subdivision surfaces so I would need a support for these
> > to use it for the future,
>
> POV-Ray is mainly a renderer and subdivision surfaces and displacement
> mapping are mainly modeling techniques.
>
> There exists a patch for performing parse time subdivision of meshes:
>
> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/
>
> and the compressed mesh system
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/pcm.html
>
> supports deformation of meshes.
>
> Furthermore there is the Surface Subdivision Suite:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm
>

> Christoph

Hi Christoph, can you add subdivision feature to pov-ray or megapov like
"POV-Ray with Subdivision " This is very usefull thing.  ?

Regards.

Hasan

Post a reply to this message