POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Displacement Mapping and subdivision surfaces : Re: Displacement Mapping and subdivision surfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement Mapping and subdivision surfaces
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Apr 2006 18:25:01
Message: <web.4432f0c891531e9e127644120@news.povray.org>
> McHannemann wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I would like to know if there is some code to use Displacement mapping,
> > I love to use Pov-Ray for redering, but I construct models with displacement
> > mapping and subdivision surfaces so I would need a support for these
> > to use it for the future,
>
> POV-Ray is mainly a renderer and subdivision surfaces and displacement
> mapping are mainly modeling techniques.

In everything I've read on the web about displacement mapping, the term
itself always goes hand-in-hand with using polygonal models (and having to
subdivide the surface to get good results.)  Since POV's isosurfaces are
math constructs instead, and by nature "displaced surfaces"--and since an
image_map can be used as an isosurface function to further perturb such a
surface--it seems to me that this image_map technique could also be
called "displacement mapping."  Or is there a different term for it?

Ken