POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mike
Subject: Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts
Date: 14 May 2006 14:20:00
Message: <web.446774971d25d09449a12b420@news.povray.org>
hi, I keep getting little artifacts when rendering long sphere sweeps. Any
ideas/suggestions?

Shorter sphere sweep w/no artifacts:
http://www.mydis.org/wp-uploads/y.png

Longer sphere sweep w/artifacts:
http://www.mydis.org/wp-uploads/y4.png

All input greatly appreciated!

-mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts
Date: 15 May 2006 20:07:33
Message: <446917c5$1@news.povray.org>
Mike nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/05/2006 14:19:
> hi, I keep getting little artifacts when rendering long sphere sweeps. Any
> ideas/suggestions?
>
> Shorter sphere sweep w/no artifacts:
> http://www.mydis.org/wp-uploads/y.png
>
> Longer sphere sweep w/artifacts:
> http://www.mydis.org/wp-uploads/y4.png
>
> All input greatly appreciated!
>
> -mike

First time I see artefacts OUTSIDE the sweep! Normaly, you get dark artefacts ON the
surface of the
sweep. It looks like they are even outside the bounding box, very strange.
Can you post the source on povray.binaries.scene-files so that peoples can look at it,
and maybe
find the problem.

--
Alain
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 16 May 2006 05:35:38
Message: <44699cea$1@news.povray.org>
> First time I see artefacts OUTSIDE the sweep! Normaly, you get dark
> artefacts ON the surface of the sweep. It looks like they are even
> outside the bounding box, very strange.

I'm guessing this is to do with shadow ray tests...

(Does the scene use radiosity? Does the problem remain if you turn that
off?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike
Date: 17 May 2006 19:40:00
Message: <web.446bb326950a548b49a12b420@news.povray.org>
Thanks for your reply, the source can be found here:
http://www.mydis.org/wp-uploads/y4.pov

It happens when I have radiosity on and off.

thanks a bunch!

-mike

> > First time I see artefacts OUTSIDE the sweep! Normaly, you get dark
> > artefacts ON the surface of the sweep. It looks like they are even
> > outside the bounding box, very strange.
>
> I'm guessing this is to do with shadow ray tests...
>
> (Does the scene use radiosity? Does the problem remain if you turn that
> off?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 22 May 2006 16:05:00
Message: <web.447217e4950a548bba6018cb0@news.povray.org>
"Mike" <inf### [at] mydisorg> wrote:
> hi, I keep getting little artifacts when rendering long sphere sweeps. Any
> ideas/suggestions?

I've run into the same problem before...little specs or blobs far outside
the sphere sweeps. Never did come up with an understanding of, or a
solution to, the problem. The only thing that does seem to work --and
you've no doubt discovered it -- it to use shorter sphere sweeps.  But they
can be attached "end to end" to create a longer sphere sweep that, somehow,
doesn't exhibit the artifacts. Awhile back, I posted an image in binaries:
images of ivy and vines on a tree, and near the end of the discussion,
Alain suggested this trick (for a different reason, having to do with
reducing the rendering times.) He explained it quite
well, so here's the link...

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.43cf3b13e1be95c0dbcfc3c90%40news.povray.org%3E/

Ken W.

Post a reply to this message

From: Random Pete
Date: 27 Sep 2006 09:45:00
Message: <web.451a7fdc950a548b9cf609e10@news.povray.org>
> "Mike" <inf### [at] mydisorg> wrote:
> > hi, I keep getting little artifacts when rendering long sphere sweeps. Any
> > ideas/suggestions?

I've been having similar problems! However I ran across this link from Mike
Williams:
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/more.htm

If you look at the very end of the page he has a macro for download which
will use an isosurface to create a sweep object from a spline. This is a
lot more flexible than a sphere_sweep and should lose those annoying
artifacts ;)

Pete