POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts : Re: Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustrating Sphere Sweep Artifacts
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 May 2006 16:05:00
Message: <web.447217e4950a548bba6018cb0@news.povray.org>
"Mike" <inf### [at] mydisorg> wrote:
> hi, I keep getting little artifacts when rendering long sphere sweeps. Any
> ideas/suggestions?

I've run into the same problem before...little specs or blobs far outside
the sphere sweeps. Never did come up with an understanding of, or a
solution to, the problem. The only thing that does seem to work --and
you've no doubt discovered it -- it to use shorter sphere sweeps.  But they
can be attached "end to end" to create a longer sphere sweep that, somehow,
doesn't exhibit the artifacts. Awhile back, I posted an image in binaries:
images of ivy and vines on a tree, and near the end of the discussion,
Alain suggested this trick (for a different reason, having to do with
reducing the rendering times.) He explained it quite
well, so here's the link...

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.43cf3b13e1be95c0dbcfc3c90%40news.povray.org%3E/

Ken W.