POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sphere_sweep artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  sphere_sweep artifacts (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Qfyd
Subject: sphere_sweep artifacts
Date: 19 Jan 2005 08:00:57
Message: <41ee5a09@news.povray.org>
I'm currently trying to get a sphere sweep approximation of my
signiature and for some reason the object produced is full of tiny holes.

I've looked at all the info about self-shadowing and tolerance but no
matter how I set the tolerance, the sweep looks like it's
disintegrating. Besides, this isn't self shadowing as far as I can tell,
the missing parts aren't just dark, they're transparent.

//This is the code I'm working with
global_settings{assumed_gamma 1.2}
camera {orthographic location<0,0,-5> look_at<0,0,0>}

light_source{<0,0,-30> color rgb 2}

sphere_sweep {
  b_spline
  10
  <-1.5,1,0>,0.03
  <0,1,0>,0.03
  <1,1,0>,0.03
  <1.4,1.2,0>,0.03
  <1.2,1.4,0>,0.03
  <1,1.2,0>,0.03
  <1,-1,0>,0.03
  <1.03,-1.03,0>,0.03
  <1.06,0,0>,0.03
  <2,0,0>,0.03
  //tolerance 1.0e-6
  pigment{color rgb <1,0,0>}
  finish{phong 1}
  translate<-2,0,0>
}
//end code fragment

Any ideas?

-Pete

Post a reply to this message

> I'm currently trying to get a sphere sweep approximation of my
> signiature and for some reason the object produced is full of tiny holes.
>
> I've looked at all the info about self-shadowing and tolerance but no
> matter how I set the tolerance, the sweep looks like it's
> disintegrating. Besides, this isn't self shadowing as far as I can tell,
> the missing parts aren't just dark, they're transparent.
>

> //This is the code I'm working with
> global_settings{assumed_gamma 1.2}
> camera {orthographic location<0,0,-5> look_at<0,0,0>}
>
> light_source{<0,0,-30> color rgb 2}
>
> sphere_sweep {
>   b_spline
>   10
>   <-1.5,1,0>,0.03
>   <0,1,0>,0.03
>   <1,1,0>,0.03
>   <1.4,1.2,0>,0.03
>   <1.2,1.4,0>,0.03
>   <1,1.2,0>,0.03
>   <1,-1,0>,0.03
>   <1.03,-1.03,0>,0.03
>   <1.06,0,0>,0.03
>   <2,0,0>,0.03
>   //tolerance 1.0e-6
>   pigment{color rgb <1,0,0>}
>   finish{phong 1}
>   translate<-2,0,0>
> }
> //end code fragment
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Pete

I rendered as-is (on POVRay 3.5) and got the holes exactly as you describe.
Changing the tolerance had no effect.

I rendered without the 'orthographic' keyword on the camera and it looks
fine.
Not sure why!

Regards, Chris.

Post a reply to this message