POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sphere_sweep artifacts : Re: sphere_sweep artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep artifacts
From: Slime
Date: 19 Jan 2005 14:20:15
Message: <41eeb2ef$1@news.povray.org>
> I've looked at all the info about self-shadowing and tolerance but no
> matter how I set the tolerance, the sweep looks like it's
> disintegrating. Besides, this isn't self shadowing as far as I can tell,
> the missing parts aren't just dark, they're transparent.

Yeah, after looking into this a little and fiddling with the code I'm not
sure what's going wrong. I managed to get this, which also shows the
artifacts (and you're right that it's not just self-shadowing):

camera {orthographic location<0,0,-2> look_at<0,0,0>}
light_source{<0,0,-30> rgb 2}

sphere_sweep {
  b_spline
  4
  <-1.5,0,0>,0.03
  0,0.03
  <1,0,0>,0.03
  <1.4,.2,0>,0.03
  pigment{rgb 1}
}

But if you change the second sphere_sweep point from "0" to "1e-3", most of
the artifacts go away. I also managed to make the artifacts disappear on the
first half of your example by adding 1e-3 to your second control point. So
maybe this is some strange precision error that only occurs with certain
control point positions?

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]