POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sphere_sweep artifacts : Re: sphere_sweep artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep artifacts
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 3 Mar 2005 03:28:46
Message: <4226cabe@news.povray.org>
>> I'm currently trying to get a sphere sweep approximation of my signiature
>> and for some reason the object produced is full of tiny holes.
>>
>> I've looked at all the info about self-shadowing and tolerance but no
>> matter how I set the tolerance, the sweep looks like it's disintegrating.
>> Besides, this isn't self shadowing as far as I can tell, the missing
>> parts aren't just dark, they're transparent.

The problem lies with the orthographic camera...

3.3.1.2.2  Orthographic projection
"If objects are too close to the camera location they may disappear. Too
close here means, behind the orthographic camera projection plane (the plane
that goes through the look_at point)."

You can move the "invisible" orthographic projection plane to not be
coincident with your sweep...
look_at <-1.5,1,-0.03>
... with ...
tolerance 0.001