POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Shay
Subject: Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001?
Date: 25 Apr 2004 11:00:11
Message: <408bd27b@news.povray.org>
Am I mistaken that there is a difference? I started a print quality render
on a work computer before leaving this weekend. The image is not really
slow, but there are a lot of thin lines, so I tried the settings:

+A0.0001;  +AM1;  +R9;

Assuming that this would supersample any pixels with a visual difference. I
waited to see the first lines at the top of the image, and they looked bad.
They weren't thin enough to be missed, they just looked pixelated. Changing
to:

+A0;  +AM1;  +R9;

Supersampled even the white background, but the lines looked great. Am I
misunderstanding something about command line options?

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message

> Am I mistaken that there is a difference? I started a print quality render
> on a work computer before leaving this weekend. The image is not really
> slow, but there are a lot of thin lines, so I tried the settings:
>
> +A0.0001;  +AM1;  +R9;
>
> Assuming that this would supersample any pixels with a visual difference. I
> waited to see the first lines at the top of the image, and they looked bad.
> They weren't thin enough to be missed, they just looked pixelated. Changing
> to:
>
> +A0;  +AM1;  +R9;
>
> Supersampled even the white background, but the lines looked great. Am I
> misunderstanding something about command line options?

This is correct, '+a0.0' will supersample all pixels so it will be
really slow but you will also get good results of course.  For better
performance it is often a good idea to use adaptive antialiasing and a
threshold slightly above 0.  To avoid persistent artefacts you can try a
fairly strong jitter.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message