POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001? : Re: Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001?
From: Shay
Date: 26 Apr 2004 11:20:00
Message: <408d28a0$1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message

| +A0 will supersample even when there is no difference in the
| initial samples. +A0.0001 will only supersample if there is a
| difference greater than the given threshold, and it's those
| zero-difference pixels that are causing a problem.

Of course! I've got to admit that was a pretty brain-dead question.
Makes perfect sense now that I see it in print. Looking now, it's easy
to see that the AA on the right side of a thin line looks better than
that on the left.

| It might be useful to have some way of forcing POV to
| supersample to some level before going into adaptive
| mode, making it more likely to find these pixels while
| wasting less time on fully supersampling pixels
| which really don't need it.

Absolutely. I remember someone writing a patch like this once. Each ray
would check the center and the corners of each pixel before deciding
whether to super-sample.

Thanks, guys.
 -Shay