POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001? : Re: Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference between +A0 and +A0.0001?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Apr 2004 12:05:02
Message: <c6gnfv$9ot$1@chho.imagico.de>
Shay wrote:
> Am I mistaken that there is a difference? I started a print quality render
> on a work computer before leaving this weekend. The image is not really
> slow, but there are a lot of thin lines, so I tried the settings:
>
> +A0.0001;  +AM1;  +R9;
>
> Assuming that this would supersample any pixels with a visual difference. I
> waited to see the first lines at the top of the image, and they looked bad.
> They weren't thin enough to be missed, they just looked pixelated. Changing
> to:
>
> +A0;  +AM1;  +R9;
>
> Supersampled even the white background, but the lines looked great. Am I
> misunderstanding something about command line options?

This is correct, '+a0.0' will supersample all pixels so it will be
really slow but you will also get good results of course.  For better
performance it is often a good idea to use adaptive antialiasing and a
threshold slightly above 0.  To avoid persistent artefacts you can try a
fairly strong jitter.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______