POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  movie within (Message 21 to 30 of 100)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: movie within
Date: 31 Jan 2004 16:31:47
Message: <401c1ec3@news.povray.org>
In article <40170c7c$1@news.povray.org> , "Dan P"
<dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> * Don't give me no guff about DirectX... I don't see SGI working it's
> tail-off to make OpenGL better, but Microsoft is clamoring to do so because
> of their gaming franchise, and Microsoft seems to be turning a new leaf
> lately... along with the rest of the industry. .NET is wonderful thing.

Remember that there is more than gaming.  And DirectX, from a programmer's
perspective is an impossible API.  It just changes 90% with each version.

OpenGL has many flaws, its error reporting and state model being the major
ones that get in the way of smooth development.  Some of the extensions are
a bit odd to use (consider texture "objects" versus display lists and how
they are activated), but they are fairly portable and the API is very
stable.

For any project whose code you don't finish and forget, like you do for
games, this is extremely important if you want to be able to support your
applications for more than one version of Windos.

    Thorsten

PS: Please try not to post such irrelevant statements like ".NET is
wonderful thing.".  Such discussion does not belong here.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde