POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : movie within : Re: movie within Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: movie within
From: Dan P
Date: 31 Jan 2004 16:57:19
Message: <401c24bf@news.povray.org>
news:401c217f@news.povray.org...
> In article <401c0f53$1@news.povray.org> , "Dan P"
> <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
> You have no clue about the specification process of OpenGL, do you?
Because
> if you did you would know that SGI released the OpenGL specification
process
> to a industry group a *very* long time ago.

Wow, Thorsten, friend, take a deep breath. I don't know much about OpenGL
except SGI originally made it and they still have it trademarked. I don't
trust SGI and, in fact, I don't even /like/ SGI. And, for the record, I'm
not all much on Microsoft either, but I do know that they are aggressively
working on DirectX to meet their needs and, as a side-effect, they wind up
meeting mine. You might trust SGI not to wait until you guys fix it up and
make it great before they take it from you and make money off it, but I
don't. The OpenSource movement doesn't mean you should be naive about how
corporations work. You really should make your own specification that isn't
owned by a corporation if you want to make something open for a community to
work on and /keep/.

Just because SGI released the specification process a long time ago doesn't
mean they forgot about it. Think about Unisys and GIF.

I'm not making a game with DirectX -- I'm making a patch editor that will
hopefully come to fruition some day. DirectX is generally used for games,
yet it is actually just an abstraction layer that lets me exploit the
hardware capabilites of my equipment. That's why the called it DirectX -
Direct for direct to hardware, X to mean all the different hardware (X is a
variable). I also think that it will be easier to distribute and install the
editor using DirectX over OpenGL. And, really, I just want to learn more
about DirectX in the process. I understand you want things, but this patch
editor is really just about what I want and if other people can benefit from
it, great.

And remember: I'm not Bill, I'm just a guy who wants to make a great patch
editor.