POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : decreasing mesh memory usage. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  decreasing mesh memory usage. (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Shay
Subject: decreasing mesh memory usage.
Date: 28 Oct 2003 12:06:16
Message: <3f9ea208@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to create as large a mesh as possible with my available
memory. I have questions about what may help.

I know that making copies of a mesh will help. Will it also help to
separate meshes by texture, giving each mesh a single texture rather
than using texture lists and indices?

I'm pretty sure that this should help, but I'd like to make sure anyway.
I need the back faces of my objects to be present for shadowing, but I
assume that making the back faces out of all flat triangles will also
save some memory.

Basically, what I'm not sure about is whether POV-Ray stores all of this
information whether it is defined or not. Does POV-Ray have a dummy
uv-vector, normal-vector, etc. stored for each vertex?

Any other memory-saving ideas appreciated.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message